"Construction on Fort Casey was started in 1897. Her big guns on disappearing carriages, which could be raised out of their protective emplacements so that the guns were exposed only long enough to fire, became active in 1901. Unfortunately, the fort's batteries became obsolete almost as soon as their construction was completed. The invention of the airplane in 1903, and the subsequent development of military aircraft made the fort vulnerable to air attack. Most of Fort Casey's guns and mortars were removed and sent to Europe and the Pacific during World War II, where they were mounted on railcars to serve as mobile heavy artillery."
Two guns were salvaged in the mid-1960s and brought to Fort Casey.
artilleryBig GunsFort CaseyGlory of CreationgreengunimageMilitarymilitary basepictureWashingtonglorycreationporttownsendPNWpacificnorthwestPacific Northwest